Here’s Rule No. 1 regarding spills on your carpeting:
Clean spills immediately & then seek specialist advice.
If you catch the spill when it’s fresh, you’ve got a good chance of removing it totally. Consider these tips, too:
- Carefully blot or scrape the entire area before applying any cleaning solution. Remove as much of the spill as possible
- Before using any cleaning solution, test your carpet in an inconspicuous area to make sure the cleaner won’t damage or discolour it. Test the cleaning agents that you keep on hand before you have to use them to make sure they will not harm your carpet
- Do not rub the spill — that might spread the problem to a larger area
- When you apply spot cleaner, work from the outside of the stain toward the inside to avoid spreading the stain
- After applying a cleaning solution, blot up all the moisture.
Accidents and spillages don’t have to become stains. The sooner you treat a spill, the more easily the dirt will come out. However, there are a number of tips and tricks that could help you finally remove that stubborn stain and stop you discarding or replacing a cushion or carpet that you thought was ruined, but can be rescued!
In general though, the best recommendation is to seek help from a qualified cleaning company. You can find TACCA approved local providers using the search box at the top of the page.
To find a quality local carpet cleaner - Search for your nearest member by postcode